Song of the day: "Someone Like You" by Adele. This artist amazes me. She is in my top 5, for sure (with Sara Bareilles, as of right now the Civil Wars, the Script and Brooke Fraser). Also, she is absolutely beautiful, which makes me so happy because she is not a 'off a magazine cover' singer. I so appreciate it.
Things that are filling my mind at this moment:
Things that are filling my mind at this moment:
- tomorrow is exactly halfway through this trip - I am unspeakably sad and happy at the same time.
- loneliness - frankly, I feel like the people here are a family of sorts, but I find that it is still possible to feel disconnected from people who I otherwise would see every day and my family.
- a good friend of my attempted to take his life a few weeks ago and even though I know it isn't true, I really have trouble not wondering if it would be different if I were there.
- I am learning so much. Words on a blog cannot describe how much impact the trip to Nicaragua and subsequent IDS 301 and CORE 350 courses have had on my view of the world and large organizations/governments in it.
- If you want to hear more about Nicaragua, go ahead and send me an email and we can connect via Skype. I would be very willing to talk to you about it.
- I came back feeling like I needed to change policy, but had a wonderful lecture from a Bolivian and Colombian about making change on a small level and how small level changes eventually have effect on larger, more powerful groups. It was based on Matthew 13:33 - a woman, one of the lowest in society, makes great change (to 60 lb of flour) using only a handful of yeast. Where can I be that handful?
- My eyes hurts. I hopefully will get in to a doctor tomorrow - pray for healing. I'm having trouble seeing.
- I would like to look for jobs in the following US cities: Minneapolis and Boston. If you happen to know of any, please let me know.
Now, I will leave you with pictures of Nicaragua :) - more are on facebook!
Lago Managua and a volcano - this lake was contaminated years ago and only now is being cleaned up; a process that will take a very long time. You cannot use the water to bathe, to fish in, basically for anything.
First thing I saw when getting off the bus in León. Yes, offensive. If you don't understand the roots of it - try and look into them. Research the Contra war, even just wikipedia it. It might broaden your perspective.
A church in León
Eco Tourism is becoming huge in Central America - Nicaragua is following Costa Rica's lead.
On top of the main Cathedral in León
To the left (on the roof still) are about 3 more volcanoes. Nicaragua is home to I believe 19 of them.
The main cathedral in León from the room of a building across the street
The roof of the war museum - we walked on that.
This is up where Samoza used to have his base that overlooked Nicaragua. And all the wonderful people again.
The Cathedral in historic downtown Managua - if you look closely, it still has not been repaired from the 1972 earthquake that leveled basically the entire downtown.
We went to Matagalpa and got to visit coffee plantations!
mmmmm! Café!
This is the process where they pit the cherries, as the fruit are called.
Hammock's at the hostel in Matagalpa
The third cross to be placed on this exact spot on the Volcán Masaya; "La cruz de bobadilla". The first was placed by the conquistadoras when they were taking over; it was placed there in order to exorcise the devil which they believed was there because of the volcanic activity. Local folklore (thanks wikipedia): The volcano is the gateway to hell.
Jump picture on a volcano. Yep.
There's lava down there.






These pictures are steeeeellar, Nanda.
ReplyDelete