10 Oct 2011
Matagalpa
I am halfway through my time in Nicaragua today and it is difficult for me to describe just how much I have been learning. In Managua, we have studied by textbook, discussion and museum/site visits as well as visiting the historical downtown destroyed in 1972. Our first day in Nicaragua, we went to la chureca, a dump where much of the waste from Managua and surrounding areas is dumped. The people living there have made their living by elway of collecting recyclables. In Leon, we also learned a lot about the war. More extensive details will come. Right now I am on an iPod so look for a longer, more thought through reflection in a week or so. I will say, though, that the US has caused a lot of irreparable harm to Latin America. If you don't know about the Nicaraguan war for independence from the samosa dictatorship and than the american-funded contra wars, I would recommend reading about it on wikipedia or something. Today and tomorrow we are in matagalpa, learning more about life in the campo and also production of different products. Today we went to a coffee plantation and had the chance to talk to a group of producers who have come together to forma co-op. It was especially in light of my internship and it gave me more of an understanding of where the coffee comes from. These farmers are not wealthy. One bad harvest can severely hurt their business and even destroy their livelihood, or that of the entire community, especially when farmers are part of a co-op; depending on each other. That's it so far! Taro processing tomorrow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment