The last few days have been great. Here are the comings and goings:
Freddy Mendez, who works with Intervarsity in Nicaragua, is here teaching us about the history of Latin America through colonialism and war. I don't even have the words to put to the challenges that he gives us as western students. How can we know what we believe and than act upon it? So much of liberation theology makes sense to me, but I question parts of it. There is a need for change in the world and I am struggling to see how society can change. How do you love your neighbor? I mean, REALLY love your neighbor. How can you struggle with something so strongly as you need to in order to learn when you are also trying to work through culture shock and buses and all of that. How do you live knowing that Jesus died for you?
I grew up in a Christian home. I've known for my whole life that Jesus died for me, but you don't really try and comprehend what that means, how it changes your life. To take those desires and thoughts and turn them into action is SO HARD.
I struggle. A lot, actually.
Yesterday's cultural experience: Sounders versus Herediano, the local team in Heredia (our nearby city). The man behind me in the stands was incredibly clear in his enunciation of swear words. It was absolutely ridiculous. I was sitting among nine other sounders fans, and we were loud (true to my character). I was loosing my voice occasionally by the end of it.
Today's cultural experience: watching the desfiles (parades) and taking the bus with a bunch of drunk teenagers/young adults. The police kicked about 20 off the bus and I saw a lot, a LOT of police. I also got to hang out with some students who go to school in San Jose (they're a part of the intervarsity fellowship here). It was tons of fun. I'm pretty sure I was the only person who understood more than 75% of what was being said, but it was still a lot of fun. Especially with the translations that were going on.
Also, want to know something about the Costa Rica Center? Read this
Freddy Mendez, who works with Intervarsity in Nicaragua, is here teaching us about the history of Latin America through colonialism and war. I don't even have the words to put to the challenges that he gives us as western students. How can we know what we believe and than act upon it? So much of liberation theology makes sense to me, but I question parts of it. There is a need for change in the world and I am struggling to see how society can change. How do you love your neighbor? I mean, REALLY love your neighbor. How can you struggle with something so strongly as you need to in order to learn when you are also trying to work through culture shock and buses and all of that. How do you live knowing that Jesus died for you?
I grew up in a Christian home. I've known for my whole life that Jesus died for me, but you don't really try and comprehend what that means, how it changes your life. To take those desires and thoughts and turn them into action is SO HARD.
I struggle. A lot, actually.
Yesterday's cultural experience: Sounders versus Herediano, the local team in Heredia (our nearby city). The man behind me in the stands was incredibly clear in his enunciation of swear words. It was absolutely ridiculous. I was sitting among nine other sounders fans, and we were loud (true to my character). I was loosing my voice occasionally by the end of it.
Today's cultural experience: watching the desfiles (parades) and taking the bus with a bunch of drunk teenagers/young adults. The police kicked about 20 off the bus and I saw a lot, a LOT of police. I also got to hang out with some students who go to school in San Jose (they're a part of the intervarsity fellowship here). It was tons of fun. I'm pretty sure I was the only person who understood more than 75% of what was being said, but it was still a lot of fun. Especially with the translations that were going on.
Also, want to know something about the Costa Rica Center? Read this
Sounds like your having a lot of fun. Keep it up and keep growing. Looking forward to more updates on this whirl wind of a semester.
ReplyDelete