7 Jan 2011

A dreary day in London town

I have safely been in London (and with the group) for three days now and am having an absolute ball. I can't write much - others want to use the computer - but I'll give you some highlights of the last few days.
  • British National Gallery - free admission to see thousands of paintings that are fantastic. Best moment was realizing there was a painting of Venus right next to a picture of an Archbishop who was looking at the other portrait (it seemed) quite condescendingly. 
  • Tower of London - they were having an armour exhibit from Henry VIII's time onwards. Pretty sweet. The national mint also had an exhibition, and of course, the crown jewels.
  • British National Library Manuscript room - saw things like the Lindisfarne Gospels, 1st ed. KJV bible, Original works by Jane Austin, Caucer's Canterbury tales, original scores by Handel, Mozart and Bach, the Beatles song writing sheets/napkins/birthday cards.
  • Westminster Abbey - we went to the traditional high mass Evensong to celebrate the Epiphany - the arrival of the wisemen and end of the Christmas season. It was absolutely beautiful.
  • Theater district - I'm excited to go see Les Mis.
  • Slept - Something I have actually done, PTL. Thank you inventors of Tylenol PM, you are wonderful.
  • What have I learned? SO much. Including how useful my Tube app for my ipod is.

No comments:

Post a Comment