26 Dec 2010

food

...written yesterday (finished today)

I think I might dedicate this blog post to food. Ok, I will probably deviate from that statement, but I'm ok with this.

So we begin with Christmas eve. Woke up to the usual breakfast of boiled eggs and toast. We then decided to adventure to the Camel Fair, which was supposed to be an hour away - in reality, it was definitely two. When we get there, we realize a lot of the stalls in the traditional souk and market were closed (probably because it was Friday - the Holy Day like Sunday in Islam). There also was very little food, so we waited until the camel races were over (they were pretty anticlimactic) and went to Popeye's Chicken & Biscuits for food. It wasn't terribly special, but the novelty of eating it was great - the only other one I've been to was in the Hong Kong airport. The highlight in the food world is Christmas day, of course. For breakfast, I made crepes. The best being with the unsweetened yoghurt (labneh) with mango, kiwi, granola and a little bit of guava juice on top, in lieu of not having any honey. Then, for lunch, I made fried rice and eggs SO GOOD. Finally, for a late Christmas dinner, we had the works. Turkey, rolls, cranberry sauce, gravy, potatoes and carrots, sweet potato casserole (best thing EVER) and salad. It was a good day for food.

Now, Kyle and Kirsten have arrived and we are off to the beach today. Perhaps this morning I will make cinnamon rolls? I haven't decided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment